This is the city
information to make your stay in Ichikawa comfortable and pleasant.
The program will be changed every two weeks. You can also listen to this
by dialing 336-8010. The headlines are as follows. The
Ichikawa City Telephone Service...... August 15th, 2008.
1. Be careful of heat exhaustion or heat stroke
Symptoms of these seasonal disorders are caused from excessive
+ Due to unbelievable heat you may lose the balance of your
body temperature and you may feel very hot.
+ Also you may lose the balance of water and salt content in
+ In the worst case, it could be deadly.
+ If you feel dizzy, have a headache, muscle pain or feel
stiff, sweat profusely, feel sick, feel tired or sinking feeling or have a
fever, it might be heat stroke.
symptoms appear, you should take the following measures.
1. Move to a windy and shady place or to an air-conditioned
2. Remove clothes and take a cool water shower or breeze in
order to lower your body temperature.
3. Have some cool drinks to supply water and salt.
4. If you can not take these measures by yourself, or the
person does not respond, call the doctor.
Fire Bureau (TEL
2. Reminders of waterfront playing
Many accidents have been
reported at waterfront areas such as sea shores or river sides every summer. Here are 8 suggestions to prevent mishaps.
- Be conscious of a foothold when you are in the water.
- Be careful about a sudden change of water flow or high
- You may be in trouble when there is a sudden change in the
- In case of high waves, avoid rocks.
- Don’t overestimate your swimming skill or ability.
- Be sure to put your life jacket on when you board a boat.
- In case you fall in the sea or river, stay calm first, try
not to swallow any water, try to hold your breathe in order to float your
body easier with the remaining air in your lungs. If you are able to float,
float on your back and wait for the rescue operation.
- If you see that someone is drowning, shout in a loud voice
asking for help, make an emergency call to 119. If the area is deep, do not
try to jump into the water and help carelessly. Instead, throw a swimming
ring, beach mat or capped empty plastic water container.
If you study the above 8 items, you, yourself can be safer
and at the same time you may save someone’s life.
: Fire Bureau (TEL 333-2111)
3. Holding a Picture Diary Contest under the theme of “Family and
Ichikawa City is commemorating “The WHO’s 3rd Global
Conference of the Alliance for Healthy Cities” to be held for a period
between October 23rd and 26th in Ichikawa and is having a picture diary
contest under the theme of “Family and Health”. Good works will be
displayed at the Ichikawa Cultural Hall during the conference together with
those picture diaries sent from other “Healthy Cities” and more over we plan
to compile them into a picture diary book. The works may be used in
projects to up lift health consciousness. Any elementary school
students living or attending schools in Ichikawa can apply by Sep.5th.
You can submit your work to the “The WHO’s 3rd Global
Conference of the Alliance for Healthy Cities office of the City Hall.
Picture Diary Contest
The Alliance for Healthy Cities Japan Office
Ichikawa City, Ichikawa City Board of Education
2. Qualifications: Elementary school students living or
attending school in Ichikawa.
1) Elementary Lower Grades
2) Elementary Upper Grades
4. The deadline: September 5th, 2008
5. Inquiries and Submission of Works
Mailing address: The 3rd Global Conference of the AFHC
272-8501 1-1-1 Yawata Ichikawa City Hall
Telephone No.: 047-704-0257 Fax:
6. Theme of Picture Diary
“Family and Health” is the theme. Please draw your
pictures and write your sentences focusing on the happy moment of your daily
Some examples - Deep love among your family
- Help and assist each other
- The pleasure of a happy home
- Importance of good health
- Splendidness of good health
7. The main points
1) Paper: Use quarto drawing paper (540mm x 380mm) in
Draw a picture in the upper half and write a diary sentences on the lower
Leave a margin of about 20mm at 4 sides of the drawing paper.
2) How to draw a picture: No restriction as to coloring
Illustration is acceptable
How to write a diary: 1st line,
2nd line, name of the school, grade and your name
3rd line, start writing the diary
* This should be done by you not by anyone else.
* Length of the text
1. Elementary Lower Grades (1-3):
about 100 words
2. Elementary Upper Grades (4-6):
about 150 words
* It can be in Japanese or in your native language.
8. Judgment and Announcement of Results:
1) The Preliminary Judgment will be done by the Ichikawa
Board of Education who will select the top 3 works. These will not be
returned. The remaining works will be returned to the painter /
2) The Final Judgment will be done by the AFHC office,
including the works drawn and written by the students from Healthy Cities
outside the country in early September.
3) In the middle of September, an announcement will be made
on the Ichikawa City Web page. A letter will be sent to the prize
9. Announcement of winners and their work
1) The first prize (superior) and some other prizes will be
decided and certificates of merit and commemorative gifts will be awarded.
A memento will be given to all participants.
2) Announcements will be made in The 3rd Global Conference of
the AFHC event at the Ichikawa Cultural Hall on October 25th Saturday.
+ The number of works applied should be limited to one piece
and it must be done by the person himself and unpublished.
+ Personal information will never be used without approval
from the applicants for purposes other than results notification and
publication of the collection.
: The 3rd Global Conference of the AFHC Secretariat (TEL 334-1143)
For further information regarding the subjects
mentioned above or others concerning your daily life or questions about
city administration, please visit the Foreign Residents' Assistance Desk
or dial 336-8030. On Monday,
Tuesday and Thursday and Friday at the
City Hall, and on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
at the Gyotoku Branch Office from 10 to 12 in the morning and from 1 to 4 in the afternoon.
see you next month